Monday, August 18, 2008

Swords

I've been thinking about swords a lot the past few days, for someone who is neither a homicidal maniac nor an employee of a renaissance festival.

First, I've been reading a series of sci-fi/fantasy books (yes, most are either one or the other, but these are both futuristic AND sword & sorcery) by Christopher Stasheff. I've really been enjoying them. It's funny, because they were recommended to me by my father-in-law (who is totally areligious) with the phrase, "You'll like him, he's Catholic." At first I was a little insulted by that, like my f-i-l thought I was more bigoted than I actually am or something, but I actually really do like the fact that Stasheff's Catholicism is very evident in his characters and settings.

Second, MM and I watched a really stupid movie called "King Arthur" on TV the other knight (hehe), which was produced by that Bruckheimer guy or whoever produced "Titanic." Oh, and Keira Knightley was Guinivere. Anyway, one of my many complaints about it was how they used their swords for every little domestic task, seemingly. Give me a break.

Finally, I finally got my grandpa's old Knights of Columbus sword from my great-uncle. I have to admit, I can't stop playing with it (I know, I know: paging Dr. Freud). There's just something so COOL about the sound of a sword being unsheathed. There are a lot of better reasons to become a fourth degree Knight, but the fact that you get a sword is definitely a (secretly) good one.

For me, anyway! :-)

No comments: