Saturday, March 29, 2008

Frustrations...

I had a meeting with Father on Thursday...and as much as I love and respect him as a priest...he drives me nuts when I have to deal with him. He's just very tightly wound, and if something doesn't start with him, he reacts very poorly to it.

So, I didn't really think he'd have any problems with hubby and I teaching NFP classes at the church, as we talked to him about training to teach NFP right about the time he arrived (it was 2-3 weeks before national NFP week, and he wasn't willing to let us do any sort of talk or anything until he was more settled in the two parishes and had a better feeling of the communities...fine, that made sense then!) Particularly since our diocese REQUIRES NFP classes for marriage, I thought he'd just be happy that there would be someone teaching so that couples don't have to travel an hour or more to take classes. In the end, I think he was happy about it...but his first reaction also included that he 1) needed to take our request to use the facilities to the pastoral counsel, 2) that he needed a copy of our certification, 3) that we needed to make a copy of the class as it would be taught or get CCL to send him the whole class (eventually, he decided to contact CCL himself and ask for the materials...and by the end of our meeting, he was okay with borrowing our materials to review them) 4) he wanted to know if CCL was through the archdiocese, and wasn't satisfied with the fact that the organization is based in Ohio, but that about 95% of NFP classes taught in the diocese were CCL classes...

I actually just thought the NFP part of the discussion would be a "okay, sounds good" kinda discussion, and that I would have to persuade him more about getting some sort of DVD player (preferably a projector) for the church, and get him to allow me to fundraise. That part went as bizarrely as possible...

Finally, I discussed with him spiritual direction, as I have not felt comfortable with contacting people about spiritual direction without speaking to him first. He was fairly discouraging about the whole thing, and was very suspicious of my ideas. So, I started to think that at this point, I may not need spiritual direction...or perhaps I am never meant to have a spiritual director...

So, yesterday I started reading the Diary of St. Faustina (my Easter present) and over and over again, her needing a spiritual director and finding a spiritual director kept coming up...

I'm not sure exactly what that means for me, but perhaps I will understand in time?

1 comment:

Whimsy said...

I have sympathy for both sides of the situation. I think he is trying have all of his bases covered -- maybe an indicator that NFP is controversial in your parish? Or, maybe he's heard "stories" from his brother priests.

It is good to bring up these issues before the project gets started. Maybe by playing "devil's advocate" he's testing the waters for commitment on your part.

It would be unfortunate for him if he introduced somehting that may be perceived as upheaval (WTF! The last priest said we didn't have to do that!) just to have you get pregnant and drop the ball :-)

Congrats again for your service to your parish. Our parish needs a contact couple, and I don't think we'd have to be a promoter couple to do it, but dh is still reticent about it.