Sunday, July 13, 2008

Gearing up for fair...

Well, it's been sweltering hot around here recently! I've mostly been staying home in the a/c...with the occasional walking trip to the grocery store to save on gas (honestly, I don't know if it is worth it!) Eva had a swimming party for the summer reading program last week, and my MIL came down to go with her...hubby had a long break between his shifts, so I got to go to a crop for several hours. I got 13 pages done for my scrapbooks (all 12x12, too!)

Today, Eva asked to make cookies as a "surprise" for dada...I'm just finishing the baking now, while she, Charlotte and hubby are outside playing. Eva's been telling him that they are strawberry cookies, and he asked her if she was fibbing and she said "they're not strawberry, they are chocolate chip but I am not telling you!"

Actually, her desire to bake has worked out really well, because I think I have enough dough left over to freeze for fair (in about two weeks). So, here are the recipes I am hoping to get done for fair:

Easy and Fun Peanut Butter Balls (for Eva to make for the under 13 cookie division)
The Chewy (the cookies currently cooling on baking racks behind me)
Southern Biscuits (I've done one test run of these, and they turned out to be a little sticky, and baked a little lumpy, but tasted good!)
Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
Carrot Cake
Cocoa Brownies
Super Apple Pie
Chocolate Truffles
Marilyn's Famous Whole Wheat Bread (this is the recipe that I use to bake all our bread in the cooler months...in 100 degree heat, I prefer store bought!)
Fantastic Whole Wheat Rolls (I take this to holidays, etc. Both bread recipes come from the same cookbook "Fast and Healthy Menus for Busy Moms")

and finally, if we have time and ambition...I recently dyed two very ugly stained up canvas grocery bags, and I am hoping that Eva and I can each decorate one for the "decorate your duds" division.

So other than the burn on my arm from rotating cookie sheets, and the fact that I had intended to clean the house from top to bottom today and instead made a pretty large mess in the kitchen, we have had a wonderful day! Now it's just about time to show dada his SURPRISE!!!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Wow! That's alot of baking, and everything sounds so good. Let us know if you win anything, I'd be surprized if you didn't.

LOL on the story about telling daddy about the cookies. Little girls are so sweet and funny at the same time.