Wednesday, April 02, 2008

My first ever sewing project!

Okay, that's a little bit of an exaggeration. I somehow ended up in a home ec class in middle school, and I had to sew a stuffed animal (mine was a teddy bear pillow thing)...let's just say that thankfully there was a cooking portion of that class, because I believe that I got a C...

So, beyond that trauma from my youth, my sewing skills have been limited to hemming (with a lot of cursing) and limited clothing repairs (very necessary when married to my hubby...)

So, here are a few pictures of my first mama cloth. I need to make the pattern just a hair bigger, as the inserts that I made (out of worn prefold diapers) are a little too long for this one. I also think I need to make the wings a little wider. I still have to hand sew on some velcro.

The liner is a red patterned cotton. The topper is a gold colored flannel, and the back is a dark blue nylon (I think!) I have enough fabric for about 6 to start with. I have twelve inserts made already.

So, I am very impressed with my handiwork! During our usual fight to the death...I won and the sewing machine behaved for once! (I know, I'm a dork...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think they look great for your first try. Keep it up!! (weezy6703 on diaperswappers)