Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I am now one of "Those" moms...

You know, I made all sorts of stupid assumptions (hopefully I didn't actually tell them to people...I'm hoping I just thought them!) before my kids were old enough to become severely opinionated...

One that hit me this morning was this:

I always thought scornfully that I would never allow there to be a dozen open boxes of cereal in my house. I figured that it was just a lack of discipline that lead parents to buy a variety of cereals for their picky eaters, and then allow them to eat half a box, and start another new box of a different variety of cereal.

My philosophy was that we would not have more than two open boxes of cereal at a time. There is just no need for that many different varieties of cereal all at once!

Okay, so the day is now here...I went to pour myself a bowl of cereal, and opened a new box of a different variety of cereal. Right now we have the following cereals in our pantry:

Rice Krispies (almost empty)
All Bran (almost empty)
Cheerios (almost empty)
Wheat Chex (okay, generic ones, but about half empty)
Raisin Bran (I think it may not be open, but hubby may have opened it)
Raisin Bran Crunch (I opened it yesterday)
Smart Start (the cereal I opened this morning)
Frosted Mini Wheats (opened yesterday for Eva - Barbie on the back of the box)
High Protein Crunch (two bags, unopened...I occasionally eat this over yogurt)
and Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal (opened)

Yeah, I have become a mother I never intended on being!

2 comments:

Whimsy said...

I am surprised to see that much cereal in a thrify mom's pantry!

Christine said...

We have 4 open boxes - but I don't eat cereal at all, so that makes it worse. Hubby eats corn flakes for at least one meal a day, rice crispies for marshmallow bars, honey nut cheerios for the kids, and a box of smart start chocolate something that no one will eat, and I'll admit was my impulse buy - I think it's going to be thrown away after I post this.

John's folks regularly have at least 8 open boxes of cereal - with only 2 adults at home, because they like John each eat several bowls of cereal a day, and have a variety for when everyone visits.