Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"...until the child turns 26 years of age."

A while back, I quoted Dr. Robert Epstein, author of The Case Against Adolescence, saying that "most Americans now believe a person isn't an adult until age 26." This still seems pretty ludicrous to me, but the federal government has now essentially enshrined this belief into law.

Under the healthcare reform bill President Obama signed into law today, insurance companies that provide coverage for dependant children are required to allow that coverage to continue up to the age of 26. I'm not necessarily saying this doesn't make sense when faced with the reality of the ever-extending childhood many young adults experience today... but I guess I'm not really comfortable with this becoming the "new normal."

I mean, by the age of 26, maybe it's time for the little baby bird to take the risk of stepping out of the nest. For crying out loud, a 26-year-old who joined the military at age 18 has already served 40% of the years necessary to retire with benefits!

I may not have really had my act completely together by 26, but I'm just sayin'...

2 comments:

drrobertepstein.com said...

I noticed that too! By the way, the new version of the book is now out, called Teen 2.0: Saving Our Children and Families from the Torment of Adolescence. This time it includes parenting tips.

Bret K. said...

Thanks for the tip on the new book. I appreciate you checking in - hope I haven't attached your name to anything you wouldn't approve of!