Monday, March 01, 2010

Pray unceasingly!

I realize it's been a long, long time since my last post, and there are lots of things I could say to help catch you up on what's been going on in my life... but let's just say that things have been pretty busy around here!

One thing I have consciously been trying to make time for, though, is to get through a rosary every day - usually before noon. The way this usually works is for me to twirl my little finger rosary in my pocket while I am stopped and mixing a load of feed for our cattle. This builds in a certain amount of time to make sure the feed is mixed well, and gives me something to do while I wait.

The idea to do this developed soon after I started working on the farm and was reading a short description of the life of St. Isidore to the kids. As with so many holy people, St. Isidore was described as "praying unceasingly, " even while laboring in the fields. I decided that I should adopt him as a model and try to get as much prayer in as I can safely during my work day.

A couple of things have seemed noteworthy about this practice so far. First, I have heard often that "God's time is not like our time," as evidenced by St. Peter's description in 2 Peter 3:8. This seems especially true in regards to the mysteries of the rosary, and which day goes with each set. Americans often say, "T.G.I.F.," as though Fridays are particularly joyful... but Fridays are when we are to reflect on the sorrowful mysteries. And Mondays, so often dreaded by workers and students who have weekends off, are the day for the joyful mysteries!

Secondly, it seems as though God has a bit of a quirky sense of humor when it comes to my prayer routine. Often, I have the radio going in the loader or feedtruck, then step out to mix the feed and start praying. The other day, I was "rockin' out" to Free Bird as I pulled up to the protein tanks, but when I got out my little "cheat sheet" of the mysteries of the rosary, the focus of the one I was on was "for the virtue of obedience." I don't really know if that means anything, particularly, but I thought it was a funny juxtaposition.

Anyway, I hope to be able to write more often as we get more settled in to our new lifestyle. Until then, take care and God bless.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I've been working on this lately too, it really does help to have something set to do, otherwise I find my mind is all over the place. I didn't realize how much of a farm you meant - wow you're feeding real cows not just farmville. ;)