Friday, June 02, 2006

Happy June!!!

Well, June has arrived, and with it, so has an increasing amount of busy-ness! I got all of my Big Yellow Box stuff the other day, and have been working on getting some crafts done. I invited a bunch of people over next week for a launch party (basically, I get to do a party for myself!) and once more it is a pretty random selection of church members, family members, and postal workers! So, hopefully that goes well. We are also getting close to our last Mass with our current priest! So, throw in some choir rehearsals...then the Roman Catholic Homeschooler's Conference in Denver...church fundraising garage sales...bible study...swim lessons for Eva...selling the house...and FINALLY getting to use my gift certificate from Mother's Day for a haircut, manicure and pedicure (I haven't had a professional haircut since I was preggo with Eva, and I've never had a manicure or a pedicure before!) I'm going to be a busy little beaver during the month of June...but I guess the more I have to do, the faster the month will go, and the sooner we will hit November and get to see Charlie! (Although, I have to admit, I am not looking forward to the birth process AT ALL!!!)
I'm about to post an explanation of my language skills. Found a pretty cool little quiz! Basically, this is the deal...I don't speak the same language as my husband and his family (we both CLAIM that it is English we speak...) but I can't blame it on my family, because I don't speak like them either. For instance, no one can figure out why I have always said "Soda" instead of "Pop" (the preferred word for both my family and my hubby's family!) I also pronounce Pillow "pellow" and don't even get my hubby started on my pronunciation of "crayon" (he mocks it so much that I am getting a complex about whether people will be able to understand what I am saying when forced to use the word "crayon" at my home parties...of course, my MIL calls them "colors", so I guess I'm a step up from that!) Beyond that, there is the mocking of my colloquial phrases (that did come from my family) such as "go pound sand in a rat hole" (when you are mad at someone) and "people in Hell want ice water." His family on the other hand, has such phrases as "Make hay while the sun shines" and an immensely obscene one about a monkey and a football...It just amazes me how much language can be different between people. I say "creek", hubby believes it is a "crick" if it is small (if it is empty, as most, ahem, "creeks" are around here, I call it nothing!). My MIL upon occasion will say "warsh" and "Warshington" though she tries really hard not to...and she has a SIL who says both "warsh" and "rinch" (that's rinse to you and me), so whenever MIL slips and says she needs to "warsh" something, I ask her if she's going to "rinch" it too!
Okay, better go work on my pronunciation of the word "crayon" so that I don't traumatize myself at my home parties...(and speaking of traumatize, I always have a compulsion to spell things the British way...with s instead of z, and adding u to words like behavior)

No comments: