Friday, June 23, 2006

From my last doctor's appointment...

Last Thursday I had my first prenatal appointment with my doctor in our town. The first two had been up in Denver at an OBs office, since I am going to have to go to Denver for my delivery (as I was kicked out of the hospital here after having Eva...) and I just thought this was the funniest conversation. First a little background, I was trying to explain as well as I can how the prenatal care will be split, but as of now, all I know is that I am supposed to go back up to Denver next month for my 20 week ultrasound. After that, as much detail as I have received is "we'll want you back in late pregnancy." My doc down here guessed that they would want to start seeing me again at 35 weeks. I mentioned that one of the reasons I chose the hospital I would be delivering at is that it is about 20 mins away from my parent's house. Here's the conversation:
DOCTOR: So, you'll be living up there at the end
ME: Well, the OB said that I didn't need to, and even if my water broke here, he thought I'd make it to the hospital in plenty of time.
(LONG PAUSE)
DOCTOR: Does he know how FAR away we are????
ME: Well, I told him that it is a 3 1/2 hour drive, and he didn't seem concerned
(ANOTHER LONG PAUSE)
DOCTOR: I would suggest that you move up with your parents no later than 36 weeks!
It was just too funny of a conversation...Can you tell that this doctor does NOT want to have to deliver me again!?! Although, as much as I don't want to go live with my parents (as my mother will drive me insane, and I will have to leave Eva with my mother-in-law so that hubby can get to work everyday) I think that my local doctor has a better grasp of this than my OB. Particularly since in November, there is always the possibility that a bad snowstorm could make it impossible to leave town at all... Though I have to admit that I won't move up with my parents until AT LEAST 37 weeks...and since Eva decided to come at 37 and 4, I would hope I wouldn't have to wait too much longer for Charlie (though I am quite aware that a c-section being moved up for PROM could be quite different from a VBAC since I never experienced a contraction with Eva...)

No comments: