Thursday, May 25, 2006

Money, money, money, money...Money!

Okay, I have to admit that I have been stressing out about finances recently. It is in my nature, to be perfectly honest...you don't get a degree in Accounting, and then neglect to budget and balance your checkbook, after all! (In fact, I tend to balance other people's checkbooks as well...I tried to be my MILs financial helper...but let me just tell you, she is a lost cause!) Something about owning two houses and having one income just stresses me out.

Hubby was trying to comfort me last night with the words "God won't give us anything we can't handle." Which is a great sentiment, I must admit...but unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we could handle repossession and bankruptcy! (I just really, really, really, REALLY don't want to have to handle those!) That sentiment, in my case should probably be reserved for the days that I am freaking out about medical issues (such as days I'm terrified about the concept of having this baby, as my delivery with Eva went so very badly!) rather than financial issues, because I am pretty sure I could handle almost anything financial thrown at us!

So, one of the things that has been stressing me out is that when we got our bridge loan it was based upon both hubby's income and the income from our part time job at the theatre. Unforunately, we got fewer and fewer hours (as other employees wanted more hours and were more easily available) and as gas prices went up, it made less and less sense to drive the 40 miles each way for a part time job. So, as of Tuesday, we are done at the theatre. Mostly, it's a really good thing for us financially. The problem is that mortgages are based upon debt to income ratios...and we don't have much debt (a few student loans, and of course, our mortgage on our old house!) but we also don't have much income! (Though it is a lot more income than we used to have!)

So, I've been thinking about ways to make a little extra money...I thought about working evenings at the grocery store, but as hubby's schedule is so flexible (I mean, we have to be flexible about it...not that the job itself is flexible!) it would be difficult to work out my schedule. In our old town, I did direct sales of home decor stuff...but the company went in a direction I didn't like, and I didn't feel like starting up the business again after our move. So, I have been thinking about other direct sales companies. So many of them have a lot of consultants in our area. (I don't know if it is all rural areas, but I never even heard of home parties until I met my hubby! It just wasn't something I was exposed to in my upbringing in suburbia!) Obviously, when doing direct sales, it is important to like the product, so that was my main concern! Also, commission and expenses are important things to know about as well. Finally, I wanted to do something that I could more easily find a market for (for instance, I looked into a crystal company, but as I really couldn't afford the stuff, I didn't figure that I would know too many people who could!)

So, on Monday, I decided to sign up with the Big Yellow Box, which is a direct sales company from Crayola. They've only been around two years, and I haven't ever seen a consultant around here. Also, since it is crafty stuff that is appropriate for families with kids as young as 3 and has cool stuff that would appeal to adults without children as well. So, I have my work cut out for me in booking parties and finding hostesses, and learning about the products! I am anxiously awaiting my kit so I can get started on some of my samples...and read through/watch the training materials! It'll be pretty cool being involved in something so new! The last company I was a rep for had been around over 30 years, so they had all their systems figured out to a T...BYB has been very nice, but I've already caused great confusion between my upline, the main office and myself (I'm just not smart enough for the contract!) and I think that there will be some unique challenges working with something so new. But I am excited, as EVERYONE knows the Crayola name, and the items should be very new to people out here...plus the fact that we don't have any craft stores anywhere near here...hopefully that will help my business!

No comments: