Saturday, August 18, 2012

Homeschool Organization

Getting organized for this school year has been more complicated than any other year so far.  Probably mostly because Charlotte is in a virtual charter, and Eva is still traditionally homeschooled. Our "school room" is our...well, I can't really call it a dining room, and can't really call it an eat in kitchen.  It is an old bedroom converted into an eating area off the kitchen.  It still has the bedroom cabinetry and closet.  So, along one wall we have a tall cabinet, which I use for Girl Scout stuff, then we have a shorter cabinet with drawers underneath.  This is used for office supplies, books Eva used that I'm saving for Charlotte, books I've picked up off Paperbackswap for future school years, hubby's work stuff for feed sheets (how he figures out what to feed the cows) and my Bible Study and CCD stuff.  Finally, we have the closet, which I use for homeschooling stuff, kids crafts and games.  I have a disaster of a craft room in the basement for myself.  So, onto the pictures!  At the top is a new crate I picked up a Target.  I used two crates last year - one for each girl, but I had NO IDEA that you could use hanging file folders in the crates until I saw it on a homeschooling blog.  It blew my mind, but I really can't remember what blog it was.  We recently got a new printer, and we had to change our setup, because our old (smaller) printer could fit on the top shelf of a bookcase.  The new one can't, so it is on the girl's sharing table - which was mine and my brother's when we were kids.  Eva and Charlotte are getting a little big for the kid's table, so for now it is a printer stand.  This blue crate slides underneath and has books that we don't need right away in it.  At the front, we have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarter science books, then units 2-8 in our history program, and finally, the COVA language arts and phonics books for second semester.

Here's the new printer set up - we even hung our college diplomas on the wall (they had been on the shelf with the old printer since we moved in this house!)  Keeping it real, I left the old printer and gift bag we found underneath the bookshelf in the picture.  I did clear the papers off the printer.  You can see my pile of "what do I do with this?" stuff in front of the desk...So, that's the computer station, on the far end of the kitchen.  On the opposite end I have the day to day homeschooling stuff.  Two more crates - this year NOT separated by girl. 
The white crate is full of our electives.  First we have history, with our unit 1 and core books and our history timeline books.  Then we have science quarter 1 books and Eva's science notebook (Charlotte mostly joins in for experiments and some read alouds, I don't make her do notebook pages yet!).  After that we have Charlotte and Eva's catechism books, then workbooks for Eva (map skills, etc.)  Next I have our Spanish materials, and finally Eva's art.  We still haven't gotten Charlotte's art sorted out!
The pink crate is Language Arts and Math.  At the front I have handwriting materials for the girls, followed by handwriting teacher's guides, then Fix-It and IEW writing for Eva.  Next language skills, literature, phonics and math for Charlotte. Eva's doing Teaching Textbooks again, so no book for her!
Here are the crates in the closet.  In the corner next to them is our PAL reading materials, which I am not sure if we will use this year or not.  The next shelf up holds crayons and pencil cases, mom's plan book and notebooks, and in the corner, dry erase and chalkboard materials.  Above that, stamps, roll of paper, markers (missing - in the girl's bedroom, I think) and magnetic letters and numbers, etc. in the corner.  Above that, drawing materials, craft materials and craft kits.  The top shelf shown has the cookie sheet we use for All About Spelling, math manipulatives and handwriting without tears manipulatives, and needlework in the corner.  There are two more shelves above that - one holds trays for each girl's work plus some extra supplies, and the final holds some of our family games.
Other side of the closet - hard to get a picture of with the table there - so sorry it's a little crooked and weird.  Floor holds big can of play dough, Charlotte's phonics tile kit, several over sized coloring books, some craft project materials for history, and usually both girls backpacks (one spent the night at her Aunt's house, the other at grandma's. I had them pack in their backpacks!)  First shelf has more coloring and sticker books, our collection of Draw Write Now books, our Read and Learn with Classic Stories collection, and several drawing books, plus the girl's "Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting."  Next shelf up has card games, flashcards and bananagrams in the basket.  Then a Discovery Toys set (I think it's called Match It) and finally our collection of Child Size Masterpieces.  Above that, kids games that I don't mind the girls getting out on their own.  Top shelf shown has our Young Scientist Club Kits and other science materials.  There are two shelves above: the next one up has two large plastic shoebox storage things.  One has painting supplies, the other has art supplies for the year.  And the very top continues with the family games.

So, I am feeling as though I might be able to start school on Monday morning!  Still don't have a teacher for Charlotte's virtual school, but I figure I'll just pretend I don't have to deal with one until we get  assigned one!




1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.