Friday, March 16, 2012

Quick Takes Friday

I don't know if I have 7 things to say this week, so we'll just have to see how far I get!

1-
I'm having a bang-my-head-against-the-wall kind of day today. Enrollment for the virtual charter we are hoping to get Charlotte in for next year opened this week, and I faxed in all the documentation asked for. The complication is in proving that we are Colorado residents, because we don't have the preferred documentation (mortgage or rental agreement) or the secondary documentation because everything is either in FILs name, or sent to FILs address. I even added a notarized and signed document as suggested by one of my contacts at the school. At this point, I am just waiting for a call back to see if it is a simple fix, or if it will be more complicated. The most irritating part of all is that all four of us were born in Colorado and have never lived in any other state...and I just can't seem to prove that we are residents!!

2-
My CCD class was WAY hyper this week - all of them had excessive amounts of sugar before class, and were wound up from taking their state tests (which they informed me are no longer CSAPs, but TCAPs - still, crappy state level standardized tests by whatever name...) and the only way we made it through my lesson was by bribing them with 5 minutes to run around at the end of class if we got through my lesson. I don't know how, but we made it through - and they got to run around until their parents picked them up!

3-
Cookie drama should be over for the year. One mom returned 39 packages after the last day for sales - but on the same day she returned them, I got a call from a GS state employee, and she gave us permission to sell our remaining cookies at our local community night. In the end, we have 9 leftover packages that the troop will pay for and use for snacks. Not too bad!

4-
It is getting to that part in the school year when I would rather be planning school for next year than doing what we are supposed to be doing this year. I guess the good news is that we are taking Holy Week off from school, so I get a little break - maybe even enough time to clean the house better.

5-
I have started reading aloud novels to the girls during school. I've done it in previous years, but for the first half of this year, so much of our time was spent on PAL Reading program from IEW that I didn't have much time for extended read alouds. So far we have done "Little House in the Big Woods" (Charlotte's pick) and today we finished "The Wind in the Willows" (Eva's pick). Charlotte has picked what we will start next week, keeping with the little house books, we will do "Little House on the Prairie" followed by something Eva chooses.

6-
Hubby came home today with some random tickets to an Eagle's cover band fundraiser and dinner in a local town for tomorrow night. I guess a neighbor offered the tickets to hubby, his brother or his dad - and no one was interested, except hubby who said that we could use them if he got off work earlier tomorrow so that we could go to church in said town before the concert. I guess he should be getting off work a little sooner than normal tomorrow!(I don't know if I really want to go to an Eagle's cover band concert, and I am hoping that they will sell tickets at the door, since the girls will be with us...we'll see how it is!)

7-
I'm kinda liking the fact that St. Patrick's Day falls on a Saturday. Our local parish is St. Patricks - and they have an annual card party to celebrate (not a particularly well attended event, either, as you may have guessed!) I have a little bit of a grudge against the event, as I was forced to cancel CCD classes when I was DRE and St. Patrick's Day fell on a Wednesday. At that same card party (while I was expecting Eva) I was berated for eating half a sandwich midway through the card party, because we were supposed to eat until the end. Church ladies can be so catty about things...anyway, I will admit a little bit of schadenfreude every time something goes wrong with one of the card parties...and I am extremely glad to have an excuse not to go (because I know MIL would try to convince me to come) with Saturday night Mass - and I bonus excuse with the weird concert tickets.

More quick takes at Conversion Dairy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.