Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 16 - just waiting for the squeaky dryer to be done with the diapers...

Well, hubby opened Quicken of his own accord for the first time EVER! (I think it is the first time he's opened it up, period, he thinks he may have opened up Quicken somewhere between 5 and 20 times in our 9+ years of marriage) Apparently, the way to get him to care about finances is to tell him how much money a politician he doesn't like very much gives...

I have to admit, that I knew this going into marriage. One day when we were dating, I was at his apartment when he got the mail. He opened up his bank statement, glanced at it and threw it in the trash can...I freaked out and attempted to fish it out of the garbage...he seemed confused and told me that he had already looked at it, and that he still had money in his account. I asked him how he was going to balance his checkbook if he threw away his bank statement. He stared at me blankly, and mentioned that he had never actually sat down and balanced a checkbook.

Actually, I asked him last night, and he STILL hasn't ever actually sat down and balanced the checkbook.

Of course, at the time we were dating, I kept all of my receipts, and took all credit card receipts and stapled them to the credit card statement that they were on (after paying the credit card in full) and filed them away. I kept them ALL until Eva was born...then I got a life, and I no longer am THAT anal...

No spending yesterday (having no money left that I can get to easily helps that). I don't think I actually left the house all day either (is it bad that I can't remember much about yesterday?? I do remember that my kitchen was spotless for approximately an hour between lunch and dinner.) No spending today, either. I did go up to church to count collection (yes, I volunteer to count money...surprising? Not really!) and hubby took the girls to the park. I'm also going to go give blood this afternoon (when hubby gets home again) and get a free soda and free cookies...gotta love the snacks there!

I'm looking forward to Friday, when I will be able to get money out of the bank (gotta love paydays!), as our fridge is VERY empty at the moment (we have lots of frozen stuff...but we're down to less than half a gallon of milk, and Eva doesn't like "that yucky milk you made" so I'm thinking that I'll be serving a lot of water and iced tea until Friday). Of course, my plan is to get out $100 to get us through the 30th.

No comments: